Thursday, May 3, 2007

Tortuga Island

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Island of Tortuga, which in fact is one big Island and 3 smaller ones, is located some 50 miles west of Isla Margarita.
This Island used to be a hide out place for Piratas during the 17th. century, but today it is uninhabited with some fishermen living here in the fishing season. It is a beautiful Island with long white sand beaches and lots of interesting bays and places to visit.
This map was found in the Archivos National de Venezuela, it shows a Dutch fortress from 1668, well protected on the high plain, with its natural harbor in front.
Tortuga has some of the most beautiful bays on the south shore only a few persons have been there. A calm day and a good dinghy is important since there is no anchorages for bigger boats.

In the revolution time with Simon Bolivar, treasures was hidden by rich Spanish families here, in an attempt to save their most valued treasures, many big anchors can be found here and a wooden chest was found there 5 years ago with silver plate by the local fishermen, its the only Venezuelan Island where sweet water can be found in natural caves.

Today it is a deserted island, where a few fishermen lives in the lobster season, specially the southern part of the Island have some beautiful lagoons and landscape, not found anywhere else in the Caribbean..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is the description of Tortuga Island i got from the web. It is now one of my favourite place. I have just one word to describe it - AWESOME. I like this island very very much.

Went to this island on one of my weekend in Costa Rica. It took us 8 hours drive to reach the Montezuma Beach :s but in fact we can actually take the shorter path that is the ferry which needs just half of the time :s but our peer in CR said that she would like to show us the peninsular so she took us to the longer path..well...

So, we rent a hotel room at Montezuma Beach as there's no hotel on Tortuga Island unless you wana camp there :p We went for the island hopping at Tortuga Island and I heard it is one the filming location for the TV show "Survivor" wow...

This island really impressed me alot. I had so many first time during this island trip..wahahaha, don't misunderstood okie. The very first time I go for snorkelling..frankly i can't really swim well. But I don't know where did I have the gut..and I just put on the live jacket and 'poom' jump into the deep crystal clear sea, with fishes swimming around. That was really great...

Then the very first time I saw dolphins. I mentioned that before in my previous post..but man, this is really something I won't forget for the rest of my life. As it was really a surprise to see them. we were already on our way back to Montezuma Beach and wana call it a day. Then out of a sudden, our tour guide shouted "see, dolphins" Then all of us started to scream and shout due to the excitement..haha. the dolphins were swimming around our boat..jumping up and down. And the greatest scene was there was one dolphin jumped up high to the sky then dropped back into the sea. While writing I can still remember this scene...its awesome!!!

We took hundreds of pictures during this island trip..haha. Let me share a few nice ones with you.. :)




No comments: